I saw this recipe posted by Adam Liaw (of Masterchef Australia fame) on Twitter and it looked stunning. Making a cake that separates when cooked into two layers, one with a delicious soft custard layer and another light and fluffy sponge layer is one that I had to try making. Though, I made a mistake of taking it out too early so that’s why there’s a few cracks but apart from that, it looked great and where dusting some icing sugar over it helps cover some of that up.
Orange Marmalade Custard Cake (adapted from Adam Liaw’s recipe on GoodFood.com.au)
Makes: One 20cm cake
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Passive Time: 2 hours
180g Orange Marmalade (1/2 cup)
125g Unsalted Butter, plus extra for greasing
4 Egg Yolks
4 Egg Whites
120g Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Cold Water
160g Plain Flour
500ml Full Cream Milk
1 tsp White Vinegar
50g Icing Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC and line a 20cm square cake tin.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the orange marmalade and unsalted butter and heat until the butter has just melted. Then set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a stand mixer, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the tablespoon of cold water and melted butter mixture to the eggs and whisk until combined.
5. Add the plain flour to the mixture and mix on a slow speed until just incorporated.
6. Then add in the milk a bit at a time until the mixture is smooth.
7. Separately, whisk the egg whites to firm peaks and then add the vinegar to the egg whites, whisking until combined.
8. Fold half the egg whites into the marmalade mixture until just combined. Then fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
9. Transfer the mixture to the cake tin and then bake for 45 minutes or until the top is brown and the edges are well set. The cake should be very wobbly in the centre still. Cool to room temperature in the tin, then chill in the fridge for an additional 2 hours.
- Matcha White Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- Marmalade Custard Cake
- Lychee Chiffon Cake
- Green Tea Crème Brûlée
- Mint Choc Chip Cookies
- Almond Butter Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream
- Lychee & White Chocolate Macarons
- Ginger & Orange Melting Moments
- Black Tea Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting
- Caramel Apple Beer Bread