I saw this amazing recipe from Chew Town that I was salivating. It has a lovely golden syrup flavour with coconut and zesty lemon, a nice coconut flavoured tart base, and toasty macadamias. The perfect combination.
Macadamia & Coconut Tart (adapted from Chew Town)
Makes: 10-12 serves
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 65 minutes
Passive Time: 2 hours
180g Plain Flour
45g Desiccated Coconut
1/4 tsp Salt
95g Coconut Oil, Room Temperature (1/2 cup)
90 – 135 mL Cold Water
150ml Thickened Cream
1 Egg, Lightly Whisked
280g Golden Syrup (3/4 cup)
70g Fresh Breadcrumbs
75g Macadamia Meal
40ml Lemon Juice
Zest of one Lemon
Icing Sugar for Dusting
1. Place the plain flour, desiccated coconut, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until well combined.
2. Add the coconut oil, and then pulse until the mixture is crumbly and sand-like.
3. Add water while the food processor is pulsing, until the dough comes together. Note: You may not need all the water.
4. Remove the dough from the food processor and wrap it with cling wrap, and place in the fridge for an hour to chill.
5. In a medium sized bowl, mix the egg and thickened cream until just combined.
6. Add in the golden syrup, macadamia meal, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and lemon juice to the mixture. Whisk until all combined and then cover with cling wrap and refrigerate.
7. Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove the pastry from the fridge and allow to soften for around 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Place cling wrap beneath and on top of the pastry and roll out the pastry until it is wide enough to line the base and sides of the tart tin.
9. Place the pastry into the tart tin and mould the dough to fit the tin. Prick the base with a fork and then place the pastry in the fridge to chill for around 30 minutes before baking.
10. Line the dough with baking paper and then add in ceramic baking weights (or rice) and blind bake for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the weights and baking paper, then bake the base for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the case from the oven to cool to room temperature.
12. Decrease the oven to 160°C. Remove the filling from the fridge and pour filling into the cooled base. Place the macadamias on top of the filling, then place in the oven and bake for around 40 minutes or until the filling is just set and the macadamias are golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the tart tin.
13. Remove the cooled tart from the tin, and dust with icing sugar before serving.