A colleague of mine loaned me one of her recipe books How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson and flipping through it, I came across this interesting recipe that she described as instantly addictive. So of course I had to give it a try. These cookies are amazingly light, sweetness is just bang on and combined with the saltiness of the peanuts is just perfection. Addictive, indeed.
Sweet and Salty Peanut Cookies (by Nigella Lawson)
Makes: 30 cookies
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
75g light muscovado sugar
100g unsalted butter, softened
50g vegetable shortening, melted
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g self-raising flour
125g salted peanuts (smaller variety)
Extra light muscovado for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 190°C
2. In an electric mixer, beat together the butter and shortening until well combined.
3. Mix in the sugar.
4. Then add in the egg and vanilla and mix.
5. Stir in the sifted flour and peanuts until combined.
6. Grab a teaspoon of dough, shape it into a ball and place it on the baking tray around 5cm apart and flatten them.
Optional: Sprinkle a bit of muscovado sugar on top of the cookies.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies are slightly brown and cooked through. Place onto a rack to cool.