I found this interesting cookie recipe from The Kitchn which I had never come across before. Searching around, these cookies are usually made with Hershey’s Kisses instead of making your own chocolates but if you know me, I like to try and make most of everything from scratch at least once. I like the softness of the cookies but the chocolate coffee truffle with peanut butter is an unusual pairing to me. If you’re not a big fan of coffee, you can just leave the Kahlua and coffee out.
Peanut Butter & Coffee Truffle Blossoms (The Kitchn)
Makes: 48 small cookies
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Passive Time: 2 hours
1/2 cup double cream
280g dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp Kahlua liqueur (30ml)
1 1/2tsp coffee powder
Peanut Butter Cookies
240g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
110g unsalted butter, softened
220g peanut butter, creamy
50g caster sugar
50g brown sugar
1 egg, large
2 tbsp milk (30ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the chocolate chips, cream, Kahlua and coffee powder into a heat proof bowl. Then, pour some water into a small saucespan, making sure the bottom of the heat proof bowl won’t touch the water. Heat the water on medium-high heat until simmering. Reduce the heat to medium-low and place the bowl onto the saucepan. Continually mix.
Note: Alternatively, you can just heat the cream over medium heat until simmering and pour over the chocolate, Kahlua and coffee and whisk until smooth. This should reduce the cooling time to around 10 to 15 minutes for the truffles. You may also find it easier to chop up the chocolate into smaller pieces so it can melt more quickly.
2. Once all the ingredients have been combined, take off the heat and allow to cool and the chocolate mixture is glossy and just pipe-able. This may take around 40 mins to 1 hour.
3. Place a baking sheet onto the table and then spoon the chocolate mix into a piping bag with a large round tip. Gently squeeze out and once there is a small chocolate drop, lift the piping bag up, leaving a small tail on the top. Allow the truffles to sit at room temperature until set for around 1 to 2 hours.
Peanut Butter Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
2. Beat the butter and peanut butter until blended.
3. Add in the brown and caster sugar to the butter mix and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until thoroughly mixed.
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and then shape the dough into balls. Press down gently in the middle to create a small indent into the dough.
7. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until slightly golden in colour.
8. Take out from the oven and immediately take a chocolate truffle and place into the indent in the cookie. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Matcha White Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- Marmalade Custard Cake
- Lychee Chiffon Cake
- Green Tea Crème Brûlée
- Mint Choc Chip Cookies
- Almond Butter Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream
- Lychee & White Chocolate Macarons
- Ginger & Orange Melting Moments
- Black Tea Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting
- Caramel Apple Beer Bread