I love the smell of freshly made gingerbread cookies even though I’m not a big fan of ginger itself. I found this lovely recipe from ChocolateSuze and it was a definite winner among friends and family, it’s perfect and you can bake it to your liking! Like your gingerbread crunchy? Leave it in the oven a bit longer! Love it soft like I do? Take it out earlier!
Gingerbread Cookies (From ChocolateSuze.com)
Makes: 30 cookies
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Passive Time: 30 minutes
140g salted butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 1/2 cups (400g) plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp mixed spice
4 tsp ground ginger
Icing Tubes (or make your own batch using Royal Icing Mix)
1. Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced.
2. Beat the butter and brown sugar together until the mixture is creamy and lighter in colour.
3. Beat in the egg yolk and the golden syrup until mixture is just combined.
4. Sift in the plain flour, baking soda, mixed spice and ground ginger and stir until combined.
5. Place a baking paper on the table and place dough on top. Place another baking paper on top and roll flat until about 5mm thick (or preferred thickness).
6. Use a cookie cutter until the entire dough has been cut. If you find the dough quite soft, you can leave it out to firm up for around 30 minutes or into the fridge or freezer for around 10-20 minutes.
7. Gently, remove excess dough and use a palette knife or a flat thin utensil to lift the cookie from the baking paper and onto a lined baking tray 2 cm apart.
8. Place in the oven for 6 minutes or until the edges have slightly browned. You can leave it in for a minute or two longer if you prefer firmer, crunchier gingerbread.
9. Leave to cool before icing the gingerbread and once finished, leave again for the icing to harden.
- Matcha White Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- Marmalade Custard Cake
- Lychee Chiffon Cake
- Green Tea Crème Brûlée
- Mint Choc Chip Cookies
- Almond Butter Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream
- Lychee & White Chocolate Macarons
- Ginger & Orange Melting Moments
- Black Tea Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting
- Caramel Apple Beer Bread