I purchased a Mochi recipe book a few years back and finally got around to trialling one of them. The recipe book is called Mochi, Fresh Handmade Mochi by Fiona Fong and has quite a number of interesting Mochi recipes. This recipe caught my eye because it was one of the simpler recipes and I the ingredients were easily obtainable, plus I do like Soya Bean milk. Win-win!
Soya Bean Mochi (adapted from Mochi by Fiona Fong)
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Passive Time: 150 minutes (Cooling Time)
Japanese cornstarch, dusting
50ml Whipping cream, whipped
15g plain flour
30g glutinous rice flour
30g caster sugar
135g soya bean milk (unsweetened)
2 tbsp butter/shortening
2 tbsp condensed milk
Soya Bean Cheese Filling
50g soya bean milk (unsweetened)
50g cream cheese
40g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
100g whipping cream, whipped
4g gelatine powder
20g icy water
1. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl well. Pour in a container and place in a steamer to steam for 5-10 minutes over high heat until solid.
2. Take out the dough and let cool. Then transfer it to the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours.
3. Knead to smooth and elastic dough
Tofu Cheese Filling
1. Place cream cheese in room temperature to soften. Whip the soft cheese and caster sugar with a whisk to stir well. Add in soya bean milk and egg yolk to mix until smooth and combined.
2. Mix gelatine powder and icy water in a bowl and combine. Sit in a hot water bath (double boil) and stir until gelatine dissolved.
3. Fold in the whipped cream and gelatine solution in the cheese mixture. Place in fridge to chill for 20-25 minutes.
1. Roll 30g of the dough with a rolling pin. Place in dusted cornstarch in an ice cream scoop.
2. Put 5g of the filling, whipped cream and 20g of the filling inside the dough. Seal the opening
3. Place the opening at the bottom. Transfer to fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes. Take out the mochi 5-10 minutes before serving to soften again (if preferred)
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake
- Matcha White Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- Marmalade Custard Cake
- Lychee Chiffon Cake
- Green Tea Crème Brûlée
- Mint Choc Chip Cookies
- Almond Butter Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream
- Lychee & White Chocolate Macarons
- Ginger & Orange Melting Moments
- Black Tea Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting